GPS Logger with a NSLU2
GPS Logger with a NSLU2
This is my short exerpt of how i tried to install Debian on a
NSLU2. It is recomended to first read the original Links. NO Guaratee
that it works with your Box !!!
If you really know what you're doing, then proceed here and take it as a
In the meantime I found the NaviGPS Loggers, which are about 90,-
.. 120,- Euros each. They are (for what I need) a complete Logging
solution. So for now I abandoned this Project. I even sold my two
NSLU2 to one of the OpenBSD Kernel Developers.
The OpenStreetMap(OSM) project is based on GPS-Tracklogs which are
converted to Vectordata. For these GPS-Tracks to gather I needed a
- is reasonably priced ( worst 200 Euro )
- nslu2 70,- Euro
- usb flash memory 50
- power adaptor for a car 2.50 Euro ..25,- Euro
- USB GPS receiver 50 Euro
- can log more than 8 hours of gps-Tracks in an adequade resolution
- Doesn't need too much installation if the prototype once is
- Is expandable
- Based on Debian
- comparably low power consuption: 600mA-900mA @ 5V ==> 3W-4.5W
- If I can box it i expect it only to have 2 external connectors:
- nslu2: 70,- Euro
- usb flash memory >= 1GB: 50,- Euro
- 5V power adaptor for a car: 2.50 Euro ..25,- Euro
- USB GPS receiver: 50,- Euro
Good Luck and beware from creating a dead Slug out of your NSLU2
- Plug everything into your Box(GPS,USB-Stick,Power).
- Give power to your Box.
- And press the ON Button.
- Then wait about 3 Minutes.
The runlevels will be signaled with a number of beeps:
Runlevel 1 with 1 beep, ...
Every received GPS Package will do a
beep. And every GPS Packet with a lat/lon will be signaled by a high
Pressing the OFF Button (same as ON ;-) will turn off the slug. After
the lights went off you can take your USB Stick and have your NMEA Log
Connection to the box can be achived with
- the gpsd does not start everytime
- The Box does not start booting as soon as 5V is supplied.
You have to press ON to start it.
- When starting your Car-Engin>e the Box probably will stop.
- When switching off your 12V Power you need 3 Minutes to
boot up your box again.
- When turning off power(1V) the Box cannot write it's Data gracefully.
You currently can plugin a USB-VGA-Adapter
(such as DELOCK 61434 USB 2.0 zu SVGA Adapter 99.90 Euro)
and connect your Box to a buildtin VGA Display.
The VGA Adapter already has the driver
installed. I also can display one picture. Starting the X-Server
fails because it tries to open a /dev/tty and cannot find it.
Attaching a camera to take snapshots even recognize streetsigns
Use a wavelan card to connect to a server for automatic
uploads of your Track-Data
- Use a Bluetooth Stick
- Use a USB Soundcard to play MP3 Music